I don’t know if I ever mentioned that my most recent job was at Natural Grocers by Vitamin Cottage (don’t ask me why they decided to make their name so much longer and more annoying to say). After working at restaurants for so long, this job was so slow some days that I would read the cooking magazines at the register and write down recipe ideas; my boss probably wouldn’t have been too stoked, but what can you do!? I am getting off topic though, being a cashier is pretty cool as a foodie for one reason- seeing what everybody is buying and spending all day thinking what you want to make for dinner that night. The other day at work, a lady bought taquitos and reminded me how much I loved them, and how long it had been since I had had them!
I went home that night on a mission to make my own, healthier, taquitos. I added roasted red peppers and green onions to give them some extra flavor. I also baked them, instead of frying them, which makes these tasty things much healthier. I would highly recommend making your own taquitos so that you can add your own twist like I did, it is much more rewarding! I also need to warn you that this recipe makes pretty big taquitos, three were plenty for me and I usually eat like ten!
Yields 12 Taquitos
- 3 chicken breasts (cooked & shredded)
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 6 green onions (chopped)
- 1 roasted red pepper (peeled & diced)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or Mexican blend)
- 12 flour taco tortillas
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Heat a large skillet to medium heat add the chicken and season with the cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Once the chicken is evenly coated in seasonings, add the chicken broth and green onions. Cook until the chicken broth is fully cooked off (about 5 minutes) then mix in the roasted red peppers.
- Heat the tortillas in a paper towel in the microwave until soft (about 15 seconds).
- Fill each tortilla with 2 tbsp cheese and about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture, roll up and place fold-side down on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake the taquitos at 425F until golden (about 15 minutes), flipping after 10 minutes.
- Serve with guacamole and salsa.
Nutrition data (3 taquitos): Calories- 480 Fat- 20.8g Carbs- 36g Fiber- 4g Protein- 37g