Wow has a month seriously already passed since the last Secret Recipe Club reveal day?! I guess time flies when you’re having fun right? Between school, work and a trip to Italy, I somehow managed to still get my recipe made for this month’s Secret Recipe Club. I can also say that I am very happy I did because I found so many good recipes on my assigned blog this month, Angela’s Kitchen.
Angela over at Angela’s Kitchen has so many delicious recipes on her blog. Also, they are all gluten, wheat and dairy free. There is also a special selection tool for those of you with specific dietary needs! Her blog is great if you have any allergies or are trying to eat healthy. I was tempted to choose her Secret Recipe Club post for Squash & Kale Pizza to re-make, but I figured that I should find one of her original recipes instead. After trying to pick between her Roasted Fish with Potatoes, Tomatoes & Olives, the pizza or her Black Bean Salsa Chicken I decided to go for the chicken, but I have to admit I ended up making her fish a few days later, just forgot to photograph it!
This recipe is great for a busy day. I put everything into the crock pot, headed to school, then finished the dinner after I got home. I added green chiles and Sriracha to add some spice to the recipe, as well as some extra garlic and salsa. I took Angela’s advice to serve this over a baked potato. Being the cheese lover that I am, I couldn’t resist adding cheese to the potato. I also topped it off with some guacamole; remember my delicious Avocado Whipped Potatoes?
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast (chopped)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed & drained)
- ⅔ cup frozen corn
- 1½ cups salsa
- 1 onion (roughly chopped)
- 1 green pepper (roughly chopped)
- 1 red pepper (roughly chopped)
- 2 or 3 tbsp fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp roasted green chiles (chopped)
- 1 tsp Sriracha
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 russet potatoes
- cheddar cheese (optional)
- Combine all ingredients, except potatoes and cheese, in a crock pot. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- When the chicken is almost ready, preheat the oven to 425F.
- Wrap the potatoes individually in foil and bake at 425F until soft (about 30-45 minutes).
- Open the potatoes, sprinkle with cheese and top with the chicken mixture to serve.