Happy Friday! For once, I feel like this Friday is a weekend day; it feels great. I have two days off work and finally have a minute to take a breath and relax. I went to lunch with my roommate yesterday at a new restaurant called Jawaiian Irie Jerk Restaurant. It used to be a food truck, and was so popular that they turned it into a restaurant. Pretty cool story; definitely has added a little to my dream of owning a food truck! On another note, this friday we have a great guest blogger from the mainland; please welcome Kimby from A Little Lunch!
Sponge Cake with Lemon Sauce
Hi! I’m Kim (aka Kimby) from A Little Lunch and I’m pleased to be visiting with y’all at Savour The Senses. When I started blogging last year, I had no idea I’d be hanging out with Jenny in Hawaii (on her blog) less than a year later — simply amazing. Thank you, Jenny! Good times!
Besides blogging, I enjoy cooking and writing in general, as well as photography. Blogging allows an outlet for all three, plus it it connects me with a fantastic group of folks. I love reading your thoughts, ideas, and recipes!
In trying to figure out which one of mine to share, I decided on my favorite sponge cake, dressed up with a fresh lemon sauce. The color and flavors remind me of Spring! Even Oklahomans get anxious for winter to be over. :) Hope y’all enjoy this taste of Southern springtime, and thanks again, Jenny, for inviting me into your sunny home!
- For the Cake:
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp milk (scalded and cooled)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- For the Lemon Sauce:
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 medium lemon (juice and zest)
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- Lemon rind “curls” for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325F. Lightly grease a 9″ round cake pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes on high speed until they’re pale yellow.
- Add the sugar; beat again.
- Add flour and baking powder; mix until combined.
- Add milk and vanilla; stir until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 25 to 35 minutes at 325F until a pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool (in the pan) on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pan and cool completely. (If necessary, run a sharp knife around the edges of the cake first before removing from pan.) While it cools, prepare the sauce.
- In a small saucepan, mix together sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually whisk in water.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture is clear and bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter until blended. Serve warm over sponge cake.
Thanks so much Kimby! This sounds like a perfect light dessert (or even breakfast haha)! If you or somebody you know would like to be a part of Featured Foodie Friday please e-mail me at savourthesenses (at) gmail (dot) com and we can get you scheduled!
1 Year Ago: Purple Plum Pie