To go with the Trailer Trash Pot Roast, I made a green bean casserole for our holiday dinner. This recipe (from AllRecipes) is a little different than others because it uses sour cream instead of mushroom or onion soup. I think the sour cream adds great flavor. I will definitely be using this recipe from now on. Green bean casserole is another good holiday dish because you can easily increase the recipe for a large group.
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white sugar
- 3 tbsp onion (diced)
- 2/3 cups low-fat sour cream
- 28 oz green beans (canned or frozen)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp butter (melted)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Melt 1/5 tbsp butter in a larger skillet over medium heat. Stir in the flour until smooth, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in the salt, sugar, onion, and sour cream. Next, add the green beans and stir to coat.
- Transfer the green bean mixture to a casserole dish and spread Cheddar cheese over the top.
- In a small bowl, combine the Panko bread crumbs and remaining butter.
- Sprinkle Panko mixture over the cheese and bake until the top is golden and the cheese is bubbly (about 30 minutes).