After being back in Colorado for a couple of weeks, I finally was able to go to the farmers’ market! I went to the Vail Farmers’ Market last week and stumbled upon some really great produce and meat. The Vail market is nice because you are so much closer to the farmers from the Western Slope. I was able to fill over half of a grocery bag with all kinds of veggies for only $10! I also got some great wine-poached goat cheddar and sage goat cheddar from Jumpin’ Good Goat Dairy, as well as a delicious grass-fed leg of lamb from Crystal River Meats. While all of this was fantastic, I have to admit that the perfectly-ripe assortment of heirloom tomatoes were the highlight of the market for me.
There is hardly anything better then biting into a juicy, ripe heirloom tomato. I chose to buy some Green Zebra, Marvel Striped Orange, and Black Krim varieties. Each type of heirloom tomato gives this salad a different flavor accent. With the addition of sweet nectarines, salty prosciutto and earthy basil, this salad is sure to be a hit on any summer day. You can also substitute the nectarine or peach or melon if you want to switch things up a bit.
- 2 medium Green Zebra heirloom tomatoes
- 1 large Marvel Striped Orange heirloom tomato
- 2 medium Black Krim heirloom tomatoes
- 2 nectarines
- ¼ cup basil, chiffonade
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt & black pepper, to taste
- Cut the tomatoes and nectarines in to large chunks.
- Toss with the basil, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Two Years Ago: Spicy Adobo Shrimp Cocktail