What could be better than sausage and cheesy hash-browns? Sausage and cheesy hash-brown waffles! All of your favorite breakfast foods, combined into one delicious waffle. An old Everyday With Rachel Ray magazine gave me inspiration for this recipe.
These are great for a weekend breakfast- probably especially good for a weekend hangover as well. I must warn you, these waffles are not meant to be made healthier… I tried making them with turkey bacon also and they turned out a bit bland. The sausage gives a ton of flavor to the waffle, so if you insist on leaving it out, be sure to add other seasonings. I think that these waffles would be really good with onion added to the mixture as well. Play around and combine your own flavors if you would like!
- 3 oz ground italian sausage
- 1 potato (grated & excess water drained)
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp minced chives
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 eggs
- Saute the sausage in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until browned (about 5 minutes).
- Add the butter and potatoes to the sausage and stir to combine. Continue to cook until potatoes are slightly browned (about 3-5 minutes), then remove from heat and let cool (about 10 minutes).
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cheese, chives, salt and pepper.
- Next, whisk the eggs and milk into the flour mixture until smooth.
- Add the potatoes and sausage to the mixture and stir until they are evenly distributed throughout.
- Pour 3/4 cup batter onto a heated waffle griddle, close the lid, and wait until the waffle is cooked through (about 3 minutes- most waffle makers will have a light indicating when to take out the waffle).
- Butter each waffle and serve with salsa, guacamole and cheese, or other condiments desired.