While eating breakfast recently, I thought to myself, “Why have I not shared this on my blog?!” This may not be a super original recipe, but it is just too delicious not to share. For breakfast, I usually end up making extravagant bagel sandwiches. I love soft boiled eggs; with them, you get the delicious whites of hard boiled eggs, but the nice runny yolk of a sunny side up. I also like that I don’t need a fat to cook them in.
This is my usual breakfast bagel sandwich. I love avocado, so of course that is a necessity. I started using bagel thins instead of regular bagels for my sandwiches; one, to make them a bit healthier and two, because I made them so big I could barely fit them in my mouth! The soft boiled egg yolk creates the perfect sauce for the sandwich, but beware it is pretty messy. They way I see it, aren’t all of the most delicious things messy?
- 1 egg
- 1 bagel (or bagel thin)
- 2 slices cheese (preferably pepper jack)
- 1 small tomato (sliced)
- A fee slices of onion
- ¼ avocado
- Bring a pot of water to a boil.
- Place egg in water and let cook until soft boiled (6-7 minutes NOTE: No more or it will be hard boiled).
- Meanwhile, place cheese slices on each side of bagel and layer with tomato and onion. Toast in toaster oven (or regular oven at 400F) until cheese is melted (about 3-5 minutes).
- Top with avocado, peel and break the soft boiled egg over the sandwich and top with other bagel half.
- Serve with lots of napkins!