I moved out of my apartment in Breckenridge today to move back to Boulder. Only one more semester of school in Boulder until I get to start culinary school! I am going to miss living in the mountains, the beautiful views from my front porch, the pace of life, and the cool weather. The one thing that I won’t miss about that apartment is the tiny piece-of-junk kitchen. When we first moved in, our stove would spark and pop every time we tried to turn it on- no it was not gas! This week’s Throwback Thursday recipe was made during this time, when I was afraid to cook anything on the stove. Instead I boiled the water for the pasta in the microwave to cook it!
Baked ziti is kind of a fun version of lasagna. Whenever I make a baked ziti or lasagna, I try to be sure to include a meat and a veggie. If you are a vegetarian you can always just do two types of veggies. This particular recipe is a great combination of chicken and shredded zucchini. A baked ziti is a great one-pot dinner for a busy weeknight.
- 3 cups dried penne pasta
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- ½ onion
- 5 oz pepper jack cheese
- 2 chicken breasts (cooked & diced)
- 1½ cups shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Cook the pasta (al dente).
- Spread a layer of spaghetti sauce onto the bottom of a square casserole dish.
- Layer the casserole as follows- pasta, chicken, onion, pasta, sauce, cheese, zucchini, pasta, sauce, cheese.
- Bake at 350F until bubbling (about 30 minutes)