My friends and I decided to have an early holiday dinner to celebrate Christmas this week. A little while back, I came across this recipe on the Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy blog, but hadn’t gotten a chance to make it. A pot roast is a great thing to make during the holidays, because you can begin cooking it early, then cook everything else while it finishes cooking. This recipe combines Coca Cola and Chili Sauce for a perfect combination of sweet and spicy.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 lbs beef chuck roast
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can Coca Cola
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
- 2 medium onions (peeled and quartered)
- 4 carrots (scrubbed and chopped into 1″ chunks)
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season roast with salt and pepper, then sear the meat until browned on both sides (about 1-2 minutes per side). Remove from heat.
- Stir the Coke and onion soup mix together in a bowl, then whisk in the chili sauce.
- Pour the Coke mixture over the chuck roast, scraping up any brown bits on the bottom of the pot. Cover and bake for 1 hour.
- Add the onions and carrots to the roast, cover and continue baking for another 2-3 hours, until meat and vegetables are fork tender.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, hot buttered egg noodles or crusty bread to absorb the sauce.