Tropical Smoothie Bowl
The birds are chirping, flowers are blooming, and temperatures are rising here on the Western Slope of Colorado! With average daily highs in the 80s, now is the perfect time to make these refreshing tropical smoothie bowls! I love smoothie bowls because you can mix and match whatever smoothie bowl toppings and fruit that you may have on hand. These particular smoothie bowls were made with mixed berries, banana and coconut milk, then topped with granola, chia seeds, grapes and bananas.
How to Make a Smoothie Bowl
The biggest question I hear is how do I make a thick smoothie bowl? Normally you want your smoothie thin enough to sip, but for a smoothie bowl, you want the mixture thicker, more like sorbet almost. The key to making a thick smoothie bowl is not diluting the fruit with too much liquid, whether that is coconut milk, yogurt, or juice.
This particular recipe is not vegan, because of the honey. If you are looking for a vegan smoothie bowl, but you can always just leave out the honey. For those non-vegans, you can also sub yogurt or milk if you do not have or want coconut milk. Try my version or mix and match your own fruits and smoothie bowl toppings to put your own spin on it!
Tropical Smoothie Bowls with Mixed Berries, Bananas & Chia
- 1 1/4 cup mixed berries frozen
- 1 1/2 bananas sliced
- 2-3 tbsp light coconut milk
- 1 t chia seeds
- 1 t hemp hearts
- 1/4 c crunchy granola I like the Kashi Go Crunch
- 1/4 c grapes sliced
- 1 t honey
- Combine the frozen berries and 1 banana in a blender. Blend on low until it starting to blend, but still a bit chunky.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons coconut milk and continue to blend on low. Use a rubber spatula to scrape the sides to ensure everything blends smoothly.
- Continue to blend on low or medium until the mixture forms into a thick smoothie consistency, almost like ice cream. If it seems too thick, just add a bit more coconut milk.
- Spoon the thick smoothie bowl filling into a bowl and smooth the top. Top with your favorite toppings, drizzle with honey and enjoy!