I feel like I need to apologize for this post if you don’t like zucchini or eggplant, but I just can’t seem to use it all up! It is seriously like the magical vegetable combination that just keeps returning after you take it out of your fridge. If you have partial zucchinis and eggplants leftover from other dishes, this is a great way to put them to use and eliminate wasting them. Once again, please bear with me; I have felt like I have eaten zucchini and/or eggplant for every meal (even at work!) for the last month!
Stews are very simple to make and it is hard to go wrong, which is great! The tomato paste makes this stew thicker and the seasoning gives it a nice Italian feel. If it is cooling off a bit at night where you are too, this is even better. A great way to warm up. I love making garlic toast to dip in my stew as well.
- 1 large zucchini (chopped)
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 large eggplant (chopped)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 cans chicken broth
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp parsley
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- mozzarella cheese (for garnish)
- Combine all ingredients in a large pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer until vegetables are tender (at least 1 hour, up to 3 hours).
- Ladle into serving bowls and sprinkle with mozzarella before serving. Serve with garlic toast if desired.