The second I thought spring had arrived, we got a huge snow storm. I guess that’s Colorado for you… With the cold weather back, I decided to make another new soup. Once again, Cooking Light magazine has provided me with another delicious recipe. I love avocado, but I had never thought of putting it in my soup before! Using skim milk in this recipe makes it healthier, but you can always use heavy whipping cream if you prefer… see I can do comfort food and healthy at the same time!
- 8 oz shrimp (peeled & deveined, reserve shells and tails for the stock)
- 2 small yellow onions (chopped)
- 12 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 2 jalapeños (quartered)
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 5 3/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk (or heavy whipping cream)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp saffron (crushed)
- 1 lb mahi mahi fillets (cut into small cubes)
- 3 tbsp cilantro leaves
- 3 tbsp green onions (chopped)
- 1 avocado (peeled & chopped)
- 6 lime wedges
- To make shrimp stock, heat a large pot over medium heat with a small amount of oil. Add the shrimp shells, onion, garlic and jalapeños; sauté until slightly soft (about 3-5 minutes) stirring frequently.
- Add the wine to the pot and stir occasionally until most of the liquid has evaporated (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the water, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer until the liquid is reduced to about 3 cups (about 40 minutes).
- Strain the broth over a bowl and discard the solids.
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat, then stir in the flour and stir constant for 1 minute.
- Slowly add the shrimp broth while stirring with a whisk.
- Next, stir in the milk, salt and saffron and bring to a boil. Cook until slightly thick, stirring occasionally (about 5 minutes).
- Add the shrimp and mahi mahi and evenly distribute throughout the soup. Reduce the heat and let simmer until the shrimp are pink and the fish is cooked through (about 3 minutes).
- Remove the pot from heat and divide the soup into 4-6 bowls. Top each bowl with about 1 tsp cilantro, 1 tsp green onions and 2 tbsp avocado; serve with lime wedges.
As requested, I will try to post nutrition for recipes when I can for people watching WW points. Note that these are only estimates.
For 6 servings w/ skim milk: Calories- 264 Fat- 14.3g Carbs- 7.1g Fiber-2g Protein- 25g