I feel like I am constantly hearing about new products and health facts. First they say artificial sweeteners are better for you, then they say they will give you diseases. They say don’t eat this, then they realize you should. It is hard to keep up sometimes. One of my main issues is whether to use real butter, margarine, olive oil, or something else. I recently learned about cooking with coconut oil, and am really excited that I did! Coconut oil has saturated fats, BUT they are actually a good kind of saturated fat. Coconut oil contains lots of antioxidants, helps the body absorb important nutrients and minerals, eliminates harmful bacteria, and fights the signs of aging. It can be substituted for fats in recipes, such as butter, olive oil, etc. If you are substituting it for butter, I would suggest using about 3/4 cup coconut oil for every 1 cup butter.
Lucky for all of you, a great coconut oil company, Kelapo Coconut Oil, has offered to host a giveaway for one of my lucky readers (as well as a 20% discount for the rest of you, read below). Please visit them on Facebook and Twitter and tell them I sent you! Not only do they have extra virgin coconut oils, but they are all 100% organic too! Please continue reading to learn how you can win some coconut oil!
Like I told you, my garden is going crazy. I pulled out my first spaghetti squash recently, weighing in at SEVEN POUNDS! They only reasonable thing I could think to do was use it for dinner AND dessert, so it wouldn’t go bad… 😉 This cake is amazing; it is a lot like carrot cake, but I think I like it more! It has that sweet flavor and dense texture, plus is filled with nutritious squash! It is super easy to make. You can use butter instead of coconut oil if you can’t get ahold of coconut oil, but I suggest using the coconut oil. It gives a nice hint of coconut, plus has so many health benefits! This dessert is great for a Thanksgiving dinner with all the winter squash coming in.
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup brown sugar (packed)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil (such as Kelapo!)
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp low-fat milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- 1 cup cooked spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp pecans (crushed)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 11" round baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugars, coconut oil, nutmeg and cinnamon. Beat with an electric mixer at medium speed until evenly combined.
- Add the milk, egg and vanilla; then beat at low-speed until evenly blended.
- In a large bowl, combine the flower, baking powder and salt, stirring to combine.
- Add the sugar mixture and squash and beat until well combined.
- Pour the batter into your cake pan and cook at 350F until golden and cooked through (about 30-35 minutes).
- For the cream cheese glaze, combine the cream cheese, orange zest, powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl and whisk until a thick glaze is formed.
- Let the cake cool completely, then remove from the pan and pour the glaze over the top. Garnish with the crushed pecans before serving.
To Enter the Giveaway!
Ok so here is how this giveaway is going to work. I am going to give you multiple ways to enter throughout the week. After the week is over, I will pick a random winner who will receive their own 15 oz jar of organic Kelapo Coconut Oil! So how can you gain entries?
Leave a comment below letting me know when you have done one of the following (separate comments for each!):
- Tell me what you would make with your coconut oil or what you would like to replace with coconut oil.
- Follow me on Twitter.
- Become a fan on Facebook (include your Facebook name that you are using).
- Follow me on StumbleUpon.
- Stumble this giveaway.
- Tweet about this giveaway (use @jennymo57 in the tweet).
- Get your friends to enter (Leave a comment telling me each friend who you referred, I will check for validation).
- Browse my other post and comment on them =) (Leave a comment here though so I know you did)
I will pick a winner on Tuesday, October 4th. Good luck!