Sometimes nothing can beat a home-cooked Italian meal. I don’t make pasta much after working at Noodles & Co. for a year, but oh man these were good. I would hardly put these into the pasta category; they are so rich and delicious!
For this week’s throwback recipe, I give you my turkey, spinach and cheese stuffed shells. Stuffing these bad boys was a bit of work, but it was totally worth it. Once they are done and you bite into their gooey, cheesy goodness you will understand.
Turkey and Spinach Stuffed Shells
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 1 package ground turkey
- 1 package frozen spinach
- 15 oz container of ricotta cheese
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp pepper
- 1/2 tbsp fresh parsley (minced)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh basil (minced)
- 1 box jumbo shell pasta
- Cook the pasta according to directions on the box (about 10 minutes). Rinse and put in cold water.
- Saute the ground turkey until cooked (about 5-10 minutes) and season with salt and pepper.
- Thaw the spinach and preheat the oven to 350F.
- Pour a layer of marina into the bottom of a baking dish.
- Mix ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and egg until well combined. Add salt and pepper, basil and parsley and mix well.
- Add ground turkey and spinach to mixture, mix well.
- Fill each shell with a few tablespoons of filling and place in baking dish.
- Cover your shells with a layer of marinara and cover the baking dish with foil.
- Bake at 350F until bubbling at the edges (about 35-40 minutes). Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.