Throwback Thursday: French Eclairs
This week’s throwback recipe is a delicious sweet treat from France- eclairs. Last fall I was asked if I could make a friend eclairs and, at the time, I had no idea what they even were! I did my research and attempted to make my own. I ended up just cutting the tops off mine to fill them, but looking back I should have used a pastry bag. I would recommend a pastry bag for anyone who tries this recipe. I am looking forward to the baking classes when I begin culinary school because I think my baking skills could use some work!
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 oz chocolate or strawberry syrup
- 3 tsp butter
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp boiling water
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring 1 cup water to a boil, stir in 1/2 cup butter and salt. Stir until melted.
- Add the flour all at once and stir vigorously until mixture forms a ball.
- Remove from heat and beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Drop spoonfuls onto a greased baking sheet.
- Bake 15 minutes at 400F, then reduce heat to 375F and continue to bake until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool completely before filling.
- For filling, prepare vanilla pudding with the 2 cups of milk.
- Cut the tops off cooled pastry shells and fill, then replace tops (or fill with pastry tube).
- For the icing, melt chocolate/strawberry syrup and 1 tablespoon butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Remove the sauce from heat and, with an electric mixer, beat in confectioners’ sugar and 2 tablespoons hot water. Beat until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing over the filled eclairs and serve.