Throwback Thursday: Hot Spinach & Red Pepper Dip
This week’s Throwback Thursday recipe is a hearty spinach and pepper dip; great for a cold winter day. There is something nourishing about a warm cheesy dip with bread. This recipe is a great pick-me-up. It goes well with chips or bread and is a great recipe for a potluck or party, and can easily be doubled if need be.
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 while onion
- 3/4 cup thawed frozen chopped spinach
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup grated Pepper-Jack cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pinch freshly ground black pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat and add diced red pepper, onion and the chopped spinach. When water begins to boil again, turn to low for about 10 minutes.
- Drain the spinach, onion and red pepper in a colander, pressing out as much liquid as possible. Grind these ingredients in a food processor until combined well.
- Combine the cream cheese and milk in the saucepan and cook over medium heat until hot and softened.
- Stir in the cooked spinach and red peppers, Parmesan cheese, crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, salt and pepper. Continue to stir until well combined and heated through.
- Spoon hot dip into a serving dish and serve with the tablespoon of finely diced red bell pepper sprinkled on top for garnish.