Throwback Thursday: Sweet & Sour Shrimp Stir-Fry
March 17, 2011 5 comments Article Main Course, Recipes, Seafood
Stir-fries are great for a quick week-night meal. You can combine so many different flavors, which means endless ideas. This particular stir-fry was my first attempt as making a sweet and sour sauce. I apologize for the photo quality, it was from my early days of blogging and taking food photos. It reminds me how far I have come and how much further I can go. So, for a healthier dinner, try this tasty sweet and sour dish.
Sweet and Sour Shrimp Stir-Fry
- 1 lb shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dry sherry (white wine works as well)
- 1 white onion (sliced into strips)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced into strips)
- 8 oz canned pineapple chunks
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 2 tsp chicken broth
- 3 tbsp peanut or vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice (from can)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- Toss the shrimp with 1 tbsp soy sauce and sherry in bowl and set aside.
- Combine the pineapple juice, 2 tbsp soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and cayenne pepper and mix in small bowl; set aside.
- Mix the cornstarch and 2 tsp chicken broth in another small bowl and set aside.
- Drizzle 2 tbsp oil onto wok/saute pan and stir-fry the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp oil onto the wok/saute pan and stir-fry onion for 1 minute.
- Add garlic and red pepper and continue to stir-fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the cooked shrimp and pineapple to the pan with the sweet and sour sauce.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture until the juices become saucy and glossy.
- Serve with steamed rice.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Appetizers (48)
- Bread (1)
- Breakfast (28)
- Dessert (41)
- Drinks (12)
- Fruit (35)
- Lunch (90)
- Main Course (179)
- Meat (108)
- Salad (12)
- Sauces (69)
- Seafood (56)
- Side Dishes (54)
- Snacks (37)
- Soup (29)
- Vegetables (105)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)
appetizer asian asparagus avocado baked baking basil beef bread breakfast carrot cheese chicken cilantro dessert dinner easy fish garlic guest post healthy italian lemon lime mexican onion pasta pork potato quick recipe red pepper rice salmon sauce seafood shrimp soup spicy spinach sweet throwback thursday tomato vegetarian zucchini
Love sweet and sour stir fry so good. And with shrimp, the best. Yours looks so good and yummy!
This looks delicious! I’ve never made this at home before, but def need to try!
Sweet and sour dishes are my friends favorites. In the past, I use pan-fried white fishes and ribs.
A pretty impressive first try I would say. Your photo says it all. Now that you mention it, it’s been a while since my last sweet and sour anything.