Tiramisu is the perfect easy “fancy” dessert. It doesn’t take long to put together, but will impress your guests. Be careful not to add too much rum, or else you will have a really boozy tasting dessert. Also, remember that this has espresso in it, which means lots of caffeine.
Yields one 10-inch pan
- 5 large eggs
- 6 oz sugar
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese (room temperature, whipped with a whisk to smooth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 1/2 oz kaluha
- 1 1/4 oz dark rum
- 1 cup espresso
- Whip the yolks with 1/3 of the sugar (2 oz) over hot water (use a double boiler) until they form a ribbon.
- Stir in the mascarpone cheese.
- In another bowl, whip the other 2/3 of sugar (4 oz) and egg whites to make a meringue.
- Fold the meringue into the mascarpone cream.
- Whip heavy cream in a separate bowl until it stands on end; then fold into mascarpone cream.
- Combine the kaluha, rum, and espresso and set aside.
- Dip each lady finger in coffee mixture briefly before placing into a bottom layer on the dish. (Squeeze excess liquid out before adding them to the pan)
- Alternate with layers of lady fingers, then mascarpone cream, starting with lady fingers and ending with cream.
- Chill for 3-6 hours before serving.
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)