Watching the Food Network can be dangerous sometimes. A few of my guy friends recently learned why I am so addicted to it after they watched a couple shows one night with me. Every recipe you see makes your mouth water and makes your hungry. This week we all found ourselves drooling over a chili cheese dog from some small-town diner. Being from Britian, my friends had never eaten a chili cheese dog, so I had to show them what they were missing!
This chili cheese dog is a bit different from others because it uses as bison chili instead of beef. The bison does not taste much different than the beef, but gives it a bit of new flavor. This recipe can easily be made with ground beef instead. Before you eat these bad boys, make sure you have a napkin and aren’t wearing a white shirt!
For the Chili:
- 1.5 lb ground bison (or beef)
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sriracha chili sauce
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 onion (minced)
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 4 tbsp tomato paste
For the Dogs:
- 8 bun-length hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium pot, brown the ground bison over medium-high heat (about 5 minutes). Be sure to break up any large clumps of meat.
- In a small bowl combine all of the dry ingredients, from cumin to salt on the recipe list.
- Add the sriracha, garlic, onions, can of tomatoes, tomato paste and seasoning mixture to the bison and mix until well-combined.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Grill the hot dogs or sauté in a skillet until cooked (about 5 minutes) and toast the buns.
- Place one hot dog in each bun and top with chili and cheese before serving.