I recently read an article about edamame and all of its amazing health benefits. If you don’t know much about edamame, it is a green soybean that is a great source of protein, contains all 8 essential amino acids and has no cholesterol of trans-fats. It is high in fiber and iron as well. I’ve like edamame for a while now, but this just makes eating it even better! It is a great addition to many meals and is definitely one to try if you haven’t yet. This dish is simple- marinated shrimp and rice with edamame. When sautéing the shrimp, deglazing the pan adds a ton of flavor that regular sautéing wouldn’t.
On another health note, I have been pretty successful with my plan to eat a bit healthier before I leave for Africa, but eating is not the only important part of being healthy. I have been snowboarding and climbing as well. I have also been trying to stay hydrated, since I live at such a high elevation. I have recently been turned on to a new brand called Neuro.
Nuero is a new brand of functional beverages. There are eight different drinks to pick from, each with a different combination of vitamins and minerals, based off your need. I like to drink the Neuro Sport when I am planning on exercising. It doesn’t have as much sugar as some sports drinks, so I get the nutrients of a sports drink, without the crash. I am happy to announce a giveaway for this week! Our friends at Neuro are donating product for me to give to you, which means one lucky reader will win an entire case of Neuro drinks!
Click here to visit the Neuro website.
So here’s how you can win:
- “Like” my Facebook fan page here
- Follow me on Twitter here & send an @savourthesenses tweet about your favorite way to live a bit healthier.
- Leave a comment on this post with your Facebook name and your Twitter account so that I know who you are when you follow me!
- You must live in the United States to be eligible to win.
- (Optional: Add me on Foodbuzz if you haven’t already.)
I will pick a winner one week from today (April 1st) out of the people who do all of the first 4 things! If you win, I will contact you for your information to send you your prize. =)
Chili Basil Shrimp with Edamame Rice
- 24 shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 1 tbsp peanut/olive oil
- 2 tsp chili garlic sauce
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh basil (sliced into thin strips)
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups of uncooked rice
- 1 cup edamame
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Cook the rice according to the directions, set aside and keep warm.
- Stir the cornstarch into the chili garlic sauce and toss with the shrimp. Cover and let the shrimp marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil over medium in a skillet and add the shrimp; be sure to scrape out all of the sauce into the skillet. Saute the shrimp until mostly cooked through (about 2 minutes per side).
- Increase the heat to medium-high and add the chicken broth to the skillet to deglaze the pan. Continue to cook the shrimp until the broth has mostly cooked off, then toss in the basil with the shrimp.
- Steam the edamame in water or in the microwave until heated through (about 2 minutes).
- Stir the vinegar and edamame into the rice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Separate the rice into 4 bowls and top with 6 shrimp each to serve.
Disclaimer: I have received free product from Neuro as compensation for this post.