One thing I really miss about summertime is being able to grill. Grilling is fun, social and delicious. I have really been craving some warmth and sunshine lately, maybe it was the week of -30 degree temperatures a few weeks ago that made me sick of winter. Either way, with hopes for an early spring, I decided to make burgers this week, except I sauteed them instead of grilling them since winter is unfortunately still here for now.
I had seen a photo of an inside-out burger recently and the idea seemed pretty awesome. I added one homemade onion ring to the top of each slider to create a seriously tasty combo; added a bit of adobo barbecue sauce that I had made previously and voila! The perfect miniature burger for a spring-time grill out.
Inside-Out Onion Ring Sliders with Adobo Barbecue Sauce
Yields 10 Sliders
For the Onion Rings:
- 1 small yellow onion (sliced into rings and separated)
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- oil for frying
For the Adobo BBQ Sauce:
- 3 tbs butter
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/6 cup chipotle chiles in adobo sauce (chopped)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 tbs cider vinegar
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tbs worcestershire sauce
For the Burgers:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 10 (3/4″) cubed slices pepper-jack cheese (or cheese of choice)
- 10 miniature burger buns
- 2 roma tomaos (sliced)
- For the barbecue sauce, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and sauté over medium heat until soft (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the chiles in adobo sauce, ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and worcestershire sauce, then cook over medium heat until thickened (about 5-10 minutes). NOTE: If sauce is not thickening, add a few tablespoons of flour.
- For the onion rings, heat the oil to 375F and combine the flour, garlic, salt and breadcrumbs in a medium bowl.
- Dip each onion ring into the beaten eggs, then coat with the flour mixture and fry until golden (about 1 minute each). Lay to cool on a paper towel.
- For the burgers, combine the ground beef, egg, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and knead together.
- Form 10 miniature burger patties with the beef.
- Next, slice each one in half and add one cube of cheese in the middle of each patty, then fold the edges back together.
- Sauté the burgers over medium-high heat or grill until cooked to desired doneness (about 3 minutes per side for medium).
- Heat the oven to broil and toast the buns until golden (about 1-2 minutes).
- Spread barbecue sauce over each bun, then layer with one patty, one slice of tomato, and one onion ring.
- Place the top of each bun on each slider and serve.