BRR!! I never thought I would see the day that I would want to get away from the cold. This snow in Boulder has dropped the temperature in my house to below 60 and I am freezing! If you are feeling the cold of the winter coming, this is the perfect recipe for you. I saw a recipe for zucchini cheese soup a while back on Cinnamon Girl Recipes and was so excited to find another clever way to use up my zucchini.
If you are like me and love broccoli cheese soup, then you will love this! I decided to go with pepper jack cheese for this recipe to switch things up a bit; I loved the added kick. This soup is easy to make and will warm you up on any cold day.
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 large zucchini (peeled and chopped)
- 2 tsp thyme
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 4 cups vegetable/chicken stock
- 1½ cup pepper jack cheese (or desired cheese)
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the carrot, onion and celery and sauté until soft (about 5-10 minutes).
- Add the garlic and thyme, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini, sautee for a few more minutes. Add the broth and let the soup simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender (or in a regular blender) until smooth.
- Turn the heat to low, add the cheese and milk and stir until melted (about 5 minutes)