Today I have an easy mid-week, HEALTHY Mexican meal for you. I love Mexican food- unfortunately, it is usually not the healthiest. My work is currently having a competition called Green Trek. You log points for different activities and healthy eating. So naturally, I have been trying to eat a bit healthier. And yes, I know I have been obsessing over quinoa bowls lately. That is because they are so easy and you can change up the flavors every time!
For this, I decided to pack all those delicious Mexican flavors I love into a tasty vegetarian quinoa dish. This COULD be made as a one pot meal, but I feel that one pot dishes sacrifice certain ingredients during the cooking. In this one, I think the veggies would be over-cooked. You can leave out the cheese in this recipe but personally, I don’t think I will ever be capable of parting with cheese. This recipe takes less than thirty minutes and is great reheated for lunch. It also makes a great filling for a burrito instead of rice!
And just to warn you- there are more quinoa bowls in the near future. =)
- 1 T butter or oil
- 2 zucchini diced
- 1 yellow onion small diced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 1 c corn
- 2 T jalapeno minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 c quinoa
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1/4 t coriander
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 t black pepper
- 1 c shredded cheddar cheese
- cilantro minced
- fresh lime
- avocado optional
- In a small pot, cook 1 1/2 c quinoa according to package instructions (2:1 water to quinoa ratio), about 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, heat the butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper. Sauté until the veggies begin to soften.
- Add the corn, jalapeño and garlic. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the diced tomatoes and spices, reduce heat to simmer.
- Once the quinoa is cooked, add it to the tomato mixture.
- Stir in cheddar cheese and top with cilantro, fresh lime and avocado to serve.