Throwback Thursday: Green Chile Chicken Corn Chowder
The title of this Throwback Thursday recipe may have some of your running for the door because it is a soup. Also, I know it may be hot where some of you are, but that doesn’t mean you have to cut out hot food! I know you will have a chilly night when you are craving a delicious soup and this recipe is going to hit the spot. It is a spicy, cheesy chicken corn chowder that is just the kind of heat you want in the summer time.
This soup is packed with green chiles, red peppers, onion, cheese, chicken and potatoes. If you are not one for spicy food you can simply just leave out the green chiles and cayenne pepper. This soup goes perfectly with the Ciabatta Bread from last Thursday’s throwback recipe. Dig in!
Green Chile Chicken Corn Chowder
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 12 oz package pre-cooked jalapeno chicken sausage (sliced or chopped into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne ground red pepper
- 4 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup canned green chiles
- 2 cups baby red or yukon gold potatoes scrubbed & chopped
- 3 cups frozen whole-kernel corn
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 1/2 cups 50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add cumin, and cayenne pepper into the mixture, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add broth, green chiles and potatoes and bring to boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer until potatoes are tender (10-15 minutes).
- Add corn and stir well. Raise stove heat to medium.
- Place flour in a bowl and gradually add milk, stirring with a whisk until blended.
- Add flour mixture to soup and cook over medium heat until thick (about 15 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper and serve with bread.
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)