For some reason, I have been craving comfort food lately. It is probably not a good thing, considering I am going to Africa to the beach for three weeks, one month exactly from today! Oh well, what can you do. Cheese is one of my biggest weaknesses. I could probably eat an entire block of cheese as a snack, but I am getting off the topic.
This casserole is to die for, the ultimate dinner for cheese lovers or anybody who loves Frank’s Red Hot buffalo wing sauce. The bread cubes give it an awesome crunch and the cheesy buffalo goodness makes this one of the best comfort casseroles. My advice to you is to indulge yourself with this one, even if you try to eat healthy.
Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘N’ Cheese Casserole
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 8 slices white bread (cubed into small pieces)
- 5 cups low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 5 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated jack cheese
- 1 pound cooked pasta (al dente)
- 1 lb cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 yellow onion (chopped)
- 3/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot buffalo wing sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 3 quart casserole dish.
- In a large saucepan, melt 6 tbsp of the butter then whisk in the flour. Continue to whisk the mixture until golden brown (about 3 minutes).
- Slowly add the milk to the mixture, continuing to whisk to break up clumps. Continue to whisk the mixture until it thickens (about 10 minutes).
- Add the seasonings, 4 cups of the cheddar cheese and 2 cups of the jack cheese to the mixture, continuing to stir until all of the cheese is melted.
- In a medium bowl, combine the chicken, buffalo sauce and onions and toss until well mixed.
- To build the casserole, place a layer of noodles over the bottom of the dish, then layer with the cheese sauce, shredded cheddar cheese and buffalo chicken, repeating until all of the food is layered.
- Melt 2 tbsp butter and toss with the bread cubes, then spread across the top of the casserole.
- Bake at 375F until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbling (about 30 minutes).