Fruity Vanilla Creme Tart
It really doesn’t get much better than eating a cool, creamy tart with juicy fresh fruit on a hot summer evening. A few friends and I had a delicious bison barbeque this past week. We had one dish after another until we could hardly eat anymore… but then came the dessert. Consumption of this dessert took place around my kitchen counter with moaning, mmm’s and oh my god’s coming from stuffed faces.
I have noticed that a lot of bloggers have recently been posting fruit tart recipes, but I still couldn’t resist! They are just so good! Summertime is great for fruity desserts. It is also great to have a cold dessert for those hot summer days. This dessert is the perfect combination of the two. The creamy base of the tart is from a pastry filling recipe that I tweaked to make it more like a vanilla custard, but still extra creamy. The assortment of fresh fruit for the top can really be whatever you would like. Berries work great. I loved the addition of the kiwis to the mix as well. Be creative and create your own design with the fruit for some extra fun!
Click here for basic flakey tart crust recipe.
Fruity Vanilla Creme Tart
- 1 basic flakey tart crust see post for recipe
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter cut into chunks
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 large kiwis sliced
- 1 small package fresh raspberries
- 5 large strawberries sliced
- 1 gala apple sliced
- Preheat the oven to 375F. Roll the tart dough out and press into an 11" tart pan.
- Poke holes in the dough with a fork, cover with foil and pie weights, and bake the tart crust until golden and crisp (about 30 minutes). Let cool completely.
- For the filling, cook the half-and-half, 6 tbsp sugar and salt in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until the sugar has completely dissolved and simmering(about 3 minutes).
- In a bowl, combine the egg yolks and 2 tbsp sugar and whisk until creamy (about 30 seconds).
- Next, add the cornstarch to the egg mixture and whisk until thickened (about 30 seconds).
- Slowly add the simmering liquid to the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan over medium heat and whisk until it begins to bubble and thickens (about 1 minute).
- Remove the pan from heat and whisk in the butter and vanilla until melted.
- Place in a large bowl, place plastic wrap directly on the custard and place in the refrigerator until completely cooled (at least 3 hours-up to 2 days).
- For the tart, pour the pastry creme into the cooled tart crust and spread evenly.
- Arrange the fruit across the top of the pasty creme before serving.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Appetizers (48)
- Bread (1)
- Breakfast (28)
- Dessert (41)
- Drinks (12)
- Fruit (35)
- Lunch (90)
- Main Course (179)
- Meat (108)
- Salad (12)
- Sauces (69)
- Seafood (56)
- Side Dishes (54)
- Snacks (37)
- Soup (29)
- Vegetables (105)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)
My kind of dessert! I love it!!
Ooh so pretty! I have been wanting to make something like this since I just bought a tart pan. Perfect timing!
This is almost too beautiful to eat !
Your tart looks absolutely gorgeous! I love all the shapes, colors and textures. Great job!
My goodness that tart looks fantastic…a perfect use for summer berries. I just got a bunch from my CSA so maybe I can veganize and still do it justice.
This tart is my favorite summer dessert! I like that you can make the custard 2 days in advance. I think I might just give it a try for next weekend.
This recipe looks delishh!! Perfectly homemade!! I want it at all costs!
This is gorgeous. There can never be too many fruit desserts in summer. This one is a winner.
How fresh and tasty this looks. I am really missing berries in my fridge…Thanks for sharing. Buzz.
It is berry tart season and I love the look of yours. Might need to leave off the kiwi ’cause I’m just not a fan but the color is so gorgeous.
This tart is beautiful! It’s nice to work with summer fruits and berries as they are in season. And somehow, for a fruity dessert….there’s always room! This looks delish! : )
STUNNING! Perfect summer dessert…and beautifully decorated.
I am SO doing this, SOMETIME this week. The fruit tart looks amazing!
A tasty tart with a gorgeous decoration of fruit! I wish I could have a slice of this righ tnow =)
I made a tart exactly like this, but I use Scottish shortbread as the base. You should try that sometime!
Perfect summer dessert. I will try it very soon. Thanks.
What a pretty dessert. This is one that I want to make for my family.
That tart looks very edible and refreshing
Luscious fruit juxtaposed with a creamy filling and a buttery crust….pure decadence! 🙂
Beautiful dish, so fruity and creamy, I wish I could have a slice now.
The tart looks absolutely gorgeous! Best of all, it’s simple and appealing to everyone.
Beautiful and so pretty for summer eating. andi
This tart looks so refreshing! I have been craving the custard recently. 🙂
This fruity vanilla tart looks awesome!