Roasted Garlic Flatbread
I have stuck to my resolution to bake more bread. I have decided to start with a very easy bread that doesn’t take long to rise or bake- flatbread. I loved eating the flatbreads while working at Noodles and Company, if I had known they were this easy to make I would have made them at home earlier!
This baked flatbread recipe is great because it can serve so many purposes. They can be topped with practially any sort of toppings for an appetizer, they can serve as a base for a pizza, they can be used as the bread for a sandwich and so many more things!
This particular recipe is for a roasted garlic flatbread, with is delicious just as is with a little olive oil drizzled over the top, but you can omit the garlic and toppings and use it for whatever you would like.
Roasted Garlic Flatbread Recipe
- 2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 1/2 to 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the yeast, water, 1 tsp salt and 1 tbsp olive oil and let stand until bubbles begin to form (about 5 minutes).
- Gradually in 3 1/2 cups flour until the dough has formed.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until it no longer feels sticky, adding additional flour if necessary (about 5-10 minutes).
- Place the ball of dough into a bowl with 1 tbsp olive oil, coat with oil, cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size (about 35-45 minutes).
- Punch the dough to flatten, cut into four pieces, cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 10 minutes. Preheat the oven to 450F.
- Gently stretch each flatbread into a 13x7 inch oval and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each flatbread with garlic, basil, salt and pepper then drizzle with remaining olive oil.
- Bake at 450F until golden around the edges (about 10 minutes). NOTE: If garlic begins to burn, lower temperature to 400F for the last few minutes.
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (336)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)