Molletes Toast with Black Bean Puree, Fried Egg & Pickled Red Onion
This easy and versatile Molletes recipe is perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner! This version is extra special because it uses homemade pickled red onions. This is a great vegetarian-friendly recipe that your friends and family will love. Enjoy!
What is Molletes?
Molletes toast is a Mexican dish that typically contains bean puree, fried egg, and pickled red onions. The bread is usually toasted and then topped with bean puree, fried egg, and pickled red onions. It’s a popular dish in Mexico and it’s often served as a breakfast or brunch item.
What Beans Should I Use for Refried Beans?
There are lots of different ways to make refried beans, and the type of bean you use is up to you. Some people prefer pinto beans, while others prefer black beans. Personally, I like to use black beans because they have a nice flavor and they’re a little bit healthier than pinto beans. But either type of bean will work well for making refried beans.
How to Make Refried Beans
There are a few ways to make refried beans, but this is my favorite method. It’s easy and the end result is delicious!
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the beans and cook until heated through and slightly mashed, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and puree to desired consistency. For a smoother texture, add a small amount of water or stock.
How to Make Pickled Red Onions
To make pickled red onions, you will need:
- 1 red onion
- 1 cup rice vinegar (or cider vinegar)
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Peel the onion and slice it into thin rings. Combine the vinegar, water, sugar, salt, celery seed, and black pepper in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the onion rings to the pan and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, transfer to a jar and let cool in the syrup in the fridge before adding a lid.
The next time you’re craving Mexican food, whip up a batch of these Molletes toasts for an easy vegetarian meal. Pickled red onions are excellent as a topping. They will keep in the fridge for weeks so feel free to make them ahead of time and store them in your refrigerator until needed.
Molletes Toast w/ Bean Puree, Fried Egg & Pickled Red Onion
- 2 cups refried beans see recipe above
- 1/2 cup pico de Gallo
- 4 Tbsp. salted butter room temperature
- 1 slices sourdough bread
- 1 cup Oaxaca cheese or Monterrey jack, shredded
- 4 eggs fried
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 cup pickled red onions see recipe above
- Hot sauce for serving
- Heat your broiler to high. Generously butter each slice of sourdough and broil until butter is melted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from broiler; spread about 1⁄2 cup refried beans over cut side of each slice of sourdough.
- Top with shredded cheese and return to the broiler until the cheese has melted
- Top each mollete with a fried egg, pico de gallo, avocado, and pickled onion.
- Serve with hot sauce, if additional spice is desired!
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)