Spinach, Caramelized Onion, & Feta Quiche
Today I crossed another “Culinary To-Do” off of my list, bake a quiche. I think I ended up putting too many potatoes in mine, because I didn’t have room to add all of my egg mixture. I changed my recipe to fix this by reducing the amount of milk and potatoes. I was afraid that my quiche was going to spill over, but it turned out perfect! The breadsticks make the crust extra delicious. If you ever are going to make a quiche, this recipe is the one you need to try! (Original recipe from Cooking Light on MyRecipes)
2 tsp olive oil
3 cups onion (chopped)
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 cup hash browns
1 can refrigerated soft breadstick dough
1 (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach (thawed, drained, and squeezed dry)
1/2 cup fat-free milk
3 egg whites
1/2 cup & 1 cup feta cheese (crumbled)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the onion, sugar, and salt.
- Cook on medium-low until golden brown (about 30 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- While onions cook, unroll dough and separte into strips. Working on a flat surface, coil one strip of dough around itself in a spiral pattern. Add second strip of dough to the end of the first strip, pinching ends together to seal; continue coiling the dough. Repeat procedure with the remaining dough strips. Cover and let dough rest for 10 minutes.
- Stir the garlic powder and potatoes into the onions, and cook until lightly browned (about 5 minutes). Then, remove from heat.
- Roll the dough into a 12-inch circle, and fit into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate coated with cooking spray.
- Spread potato mixture in bottom of prepared crust.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup feta over mixture and top with spinach.
- Whisk together milk, egg whites, eggs, and cheese. Then, pour the milk mixture over the spinach.
- Bake at 350° until set (about 1 hour) shielding crust with foil after 50 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)