Spring Green Quinoa w/ Lemon, Basil & Acovado Dressing
Is is spring or summer? Sometimes, it is hard to tell up here. I have to say, I am torn about the title of this dish. Yes, the asparagus and peas are in season in the spring. BUT, where I live they are kind of in season all summer. In all reality, they are available year-around as well. Regardless, you should add this dish to your to-make list.
This is your ultimate green machine,
vegetarian VEGAN meal. I have to say, I am surprised that I came up with a vegan meal, being the cheese and butter addict that I am. The one thing that sometimes intimidates me about cooking vegan food is the lack of flavor. This dish puts that myth to rest. The creamy avocado adds a richness that is cut by the fresh lemon and basil.
Spring Green Quinoa w/ Lemon, Basil & Avocado Dressing
- 1 c quinoa
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 shallot julienned
- 1 c chopped asparagus
- 1 c green peas
- 1 avocado
- For the dressing
- 1/2 c olive oil
- 3 T lemon juice
- 1 avocado
- 2 T fresh basil
- 2 cloves garlic
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the package (approx. 2:1 ratio water to quinoa).
- Heat 1 T olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the shallot and sauté until soft.
- Next, add the asparagus and continue to sauté until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas during the last minute.
- For the dressing, combine all ingredients in a small blender or food processor and blend until smooth. If you do not have either of these, mine the garlic and basil and whisk everything to combine.
- To serve, toss quinoa, veggies and dressing together. Garnish with fresh basil and sliced avocado.
- Culinary 101 (8)
- Guest Posts (24)
- Quotes (1)
- Recipes (338)
- Restaurants (18)
- Travel (15)
- Uncategorized (5)
- Updates (12)